Vila Nova de Milfontes
Vila Nova de Milfontes is a parish in the Odemira municipality of Portugal. It is cornered between the Atlantic Ocean and the Mira River, in the Sudoeste Alentejano and Costa Vicentina Natural Park.
The village dates from the year 1468, founded by the king D.João II. The first inhabitants were prisoners sentenced by minor delicts and fifty years after the village establishment the population was no more than ten families. The village was frequently attacked by pirates and a fortress was built in 1602. The fortress is commonly called Saint Clement's Castle.
This small village with a 5000 resident population has a great demand during holidays due to its fine beaches with clear water and natural beauty. Moreover, the surrounding area offers ecological tourism, paragliding training, a small safari park and beautiful hideouts with small waterfalls.
There are several beaches near the Village being the most popular:
Vila Nova de Milfontes means New town of a thousand springs. This is why it is known as the three lies village, as it is old, it is a village and it has no springs.
Vila Nova de Milfontes has a beautiful estuary that gives shelter to several species of birds and marine life. Moreover, wild boars and foxes can be found in the surrounding woods.
There is also an aquaculture centre nearby in Moinho da Asneira.
Pictures of Vila Nova de Milfontes